Salesperson Demo Instruction Guide
IMPORTANT: VOLOLIGHTS WILL BE BRIGHTER WITH 12VDC POWER vs. 9V BATTERY AS ON DEMO KIT. DEALERS NEED TO BE AWARE THAT THIS DEMO SHOWS FUNCTIONALITY BUT NOT FULL LIGHT OUTPUT.
With this kit, you will be able to demonstrate the behavior of Vololights on a motorcycle just by tilting the box in your hand. Functions you might want to point out to your customers:
- Vololights is accelerometer based and senses deceleration from downshifting, engine braking and conventional braking. It also increases flash rate with increasing deceleration (in Flash Mode).
- Vololights will not indicate every single slight deceleration event. Rather, it has two deceleration thresholds that must be met for the following outputs:
- Normal Deceleration – alternating flash at 2Hz (2 times/second). This urgency level of deceleration was determined by 100’s of hours of road testing and is ‘noteworthy’ to a following driver. The specific deceleration value in Touring Sensitivity is 2.6 mph per second.
- Emergency Stopping – simultaneous flash at 5 Hz (5 times/second). This deceleration level is set slightly before ABS braking would be activated and where most rear end collisions occur. Also, NHTSA funded studies determined 5 Hz was the optimum flash rate to alert inattentive eyes.
- Vololights has two modes
- Flash Mode – Default setting. Flashes automotive grade LED’s as described above.
- Steady Mode – Both LED bars come on steady during Normal Deceleration and Emergency Stopping. Use magnet to switch as shown in comic instructions or video link below.
- Vololights has three sensitivity settings that adjusts the trigger point for Normal Deceleration
- Touring – Most sensitive, good for large touring motorcycles, automatic transmissions, scooters. Most amount of flashing.
- Default – standard sensitivity for all around applications.
- Sport – Least sensitive, good for sport bikes and high compression motorcycles. Least amount of flashing.
- Brake signals are not read with this product (VoloMOD, however, is able to read the brake signal)
- Vololights works with CANBus motorcycles by tapping into license plate illumination 12V or accessories power. VoloMOD, today, cannot plug directly into CANBUS circuits. However, it can power auxiliary lighting (not stock) on a CANBUS motorcycle if 12V is taken from a non-CANBUS monitored source.
- Only requires 9-16 VDC. 12VDC preferred and typically powered from license illumination bulb or other switched power.
- Patented technology includes the ability to calibrate the product. Because license plate mounts have different angles, this product must be calibrated following installation so the accelerometer knows exactly the direction of gravity. The product can be mounted ±45%. It cannot be mounted upside down or on its side.
- Fits license plates up to 7” x 4”. License plate illumination included with Vololights.
- Magnetic switch eliminates mechanical wear and need for break in plastic; improves water resistance.
- Positap connectors are included with all purchased units. Eliminates wire cutting and maintains factory warranty.
NOTE: Tilting of the product is one way to mimic deceleration with a 3 axis digital accelerometer due to the force of gravity. When mounted on a motorcycle, the product is not measuring tilt, but actual deceleration in the horizontal axis.
Salesperson’s Demo Instructions
- Remove 9V battery from underside of packaging.
- Slide battery top cover to the left. Snap battery into terminals.
- Replace cover and power ON.
- Wait for startup sequence to finish, approx. 5 seconds, while holding box vertical (perpendicular to ground). Vololights LEDs should be off except for license illumination.
- Tilt box back slightly to indicate Normal Deceleration. Continue tilting for Emergency Stopping.
- If demo is flashing continuously, use included magnet to calibrate in vertical position, perpendicular to ground, as shown in comic book instructions.